Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Poetry essay Febuary 6th

My experience with poetry has been very good luckily i've been around it a lot and sometimes when i'm down I just look at a good poem. Poetry can be very enlightening and give you a whole new outlook on things. Everywhere you look there is Poetry, there is so many different kinds of poetry.

When I was in elementary school our teacher gave us a rap in 3rd grade to help us learn our multiplication tables. Each year of school that I remember there has been something to do with poetry either we had to write an essay or paragraph and also in third grade we had a contest and me and my friend ricky were the best in our school and our teachers took us to Burger King. 

When I was in middle school we had to do essays all three years. In 6th grade we had to write our poems and read them aloud in class and I was very shy in fact I almost didn't want to do it. Outside of school I have participated in poetry slams i've been to a poetry slam with real poets and i've made poems of my own.

One of my favorite poems is by Abraham Lincoln- "If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe." This poem means to me that you should prepare properly when doing a task. Another great one is by Martin Luther King Jr.-If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do keep moving forward.

This year I hope to get more involved in poetry and maybe even make poetry of my own. Poetry should not be work, it should only be a passion. 

 

1 comment:

  1. You are lucky that you have had so much experience with poetry. I am very happy that you accepted the challenge of writing an essay for this assignment. Good job!

    ReplyDelete